Wednesday, January 18, 2012

If on a winter's afternoon a Fudge Trolley

My new year's resolution this year is to take one day a week to edit at home, away from the distractions of the office. Really get a chance to focus on one manuscript for more than 10 seconds at a time.
Today was that day. Sort of - in that I wasn't at the office, per se. But the  home phone is connected to the office phone and I found myself connected to both those phones fairly frequently. Sometimes to the office phone via the home phone and the cell phone at the same time.

I'd like to state, here and now, that I have some of the most amazing co-workers on the face of the earth. They are run off their feet and they still manage to prevent the sky from crashing down on all our heads. We're by no means a well-oiled machine - something more akin to a steampunk invention. Kinda clunky and messy and (possibly) archaic with a dose of how-the-hell-is-this-going-to-work magic thrown in for good measure. There's a lot of drama and a wee bit of subterfuge that goes on, but in the end, everything seems to work out. And I'm incredibly grateful for every one of them.

So, as I was saying, today was my day to edit at home. Which means I wasn't in the office, which is about a ten minute walk from where my husband works and where my son and his girlfriend go to school.
During our (increasingly rare) family dinner hour this evening, Troy asked James, casually, "So, did you see the fudge trolley today?"
I nearly choked on my chicken. "FUDGE TROLLEY?  There was a FUDGE TROLLEY?"
"Yeah, it was huge - like three times the size of our dining room table."
"A FUDGE TROLLEY? Why didn't you tell me there was a FUDGE TROLLEY?"
"Because you were working at home today, weren't you?"
"Well, yeah, but still... you could have told me there was a FUDGE TROLLEY!"
"Oh, and did you get to try any of the free samples, James?"
"Wait - what? Free samples? And you're telling me this NOW?"
"Why? Mom - would you have seriously driven all the way down there if we had told you?"
"Maybe...ok...no...but still!"
"So, how about if we just tell you next time?"
"Well, duh! Of course. This is exactly the sort of information that I need to have. Preferably while it's still there!"
"Um, does that apply to the Brownie Bins, too?" asks James.
"BROWNIE BINS? THERE WERE BROWNIE BINS?"
"No, Mom. Jeez. Just kidding. But if there were--"
"YES! I would want to know about the brownie bins. Good Lord. Have I taught you nothing? And cheesecake carts. ESPECIALLY cheesecake carts."

As I made coffee after dinner, I got to thinking. OK, so we don't have a fudge trolley at my office. Maybe we only have a coin-operated snack machine (that still doesn't stock salt and vinegar chips, by the way, in spite of several "seriously-I'm-not-kidding" requests on "Suggestion Board"). But on Tuesday, our awesome publisher, Cathy Sandusky, came around with a plate of brownies and other squares that she'd picked up across the street for everyone.
Which brings me back to one of my original points.
I work with some pretty awesome people.
See y'all tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. What in god's name is a Fudge Trolley, and may I have one please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dialogue. I can 'see' it acted out in front of my eyes. FUDGE?!!!

    ReplyDelete